(1.3 M)EPUB

McGuffey's eclectic primer (c1909)

fullscreen
Author: McGuffey, William Holmes, 1800-1873
Subject: McGuffey, William Holmes, 1800-1873; Readers (Primary)
Publisher: New York : American Book Co.
Book contributor: New York Public Library
Collection: newyorkpubliclibrary; iacl; americana

Average Rating: 3.80 out of 5 stars3.80 out of 5 stars3.80 out of 5 stars3.80 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: Angeliquek - 1.00 out of 5 stars - October 3, 2011
Subject: 1879 McGuffey Primer
The Kindle edition of this book is horrible. While the pictures are there, but the formatting is way off and there are countless typos. This is wonderful teaching tool and I would like to see the Kindle edition fixed.

Reviewer: splue - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - May 23, 2011
Subject: i subscribe
i do

i luv eclectictic

Reviewer: Chab - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - February 5, 2010
Subject: Childhood Memories
This version of the McGuffey Primer was my first reading lesson, had while sitting on my Grandpa Stricklin's lap in 1952 or 53. I still remember the first lesson: "The cat. The rat. The cat has the rat." What a remarkably practical first lesson! And how much more interesting than the "See Dick. See Jane." which was the new reader of the early 50s.

I can recall feeling sorry for my cousins having the bland new Dick & Jane, while my school was still using the Alice & Jerry readers from the 1930s: books which were, perhaps, the social realist reading series - & with far superior illustrations.

The classic McGuffey readers of the 1880s & 1890s, which my grandfather taught with in three different one-room schools, were not actually written by W'm. McGuffey, but by writers hired by their publishers. The 1st through 8th Readers included literary excerpts, poetry, and historical accounts.

Although I was born in a hospital in Wheeling, W.Va., my parents took me home to West Alexander, PA, which was W'm. McGuffey's birthplace.

Reviewer: LeGrande - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - December 22, 2009
Subject: There is evidence of copyright.
The copyright date is listed as 1909, which would make this edition public domain in the United States. (The remarks in the details list say that there is no evidence of copyright.) This book makes a great supplement for any reading system. Many people learned to read through this book before the Dick and Jane books became popular.

Reviewer: Framan - 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars - March 11, 2008
Subject: Childrens reading material
I didn't exactly know what I was downloading. The book turns out to be a children's reading book complete with lessons. The child learns up to six new words with each lesson.

Selected metadata

Identifier: mcguffeyseclecti00mcgu
Mediatype: texts
Pick: 1
Copyright-evidence-operator: scanner-nicole-deyo
Copyright-region: US
Copyright-evidence: Evidence reported by scanner-nicole-deyo for item mcguffeyseclecti00mcgu on June 27, 2007: no visible notice of copyright; exact publication date unknown.
Copyright-evidence-date: 20070627112358
Scanningcenter: nyc
Identifier-access: http://www.archive.org/details/mcguffeyseclecti00mcgu
Lcamid: TBD